The call is now open for the GBIF 2024 Graduate Researchers Award previously the Young Researchers Award. The award fosters…
Explore the Biodiversity of South Africa
SANBI-GBIF aims to support and grow a network of partners in biodiversity informatics through data mobilisation, capacity enhancement, publication and use. The Node provides access to biodiversity occurrence records published by South African Institutions.
SANBI-GBIF is the South African Voting Node of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) and is funded by the Department of Science and Innovation. The Vision of the SANBI-GBIF Node is to contribute to South Africa’s sustainable development by facilitating access to biodiversity and related information on the internet. This portal was created as part of the GBIF Hosted Portals Pilot Project and aims to provide resources, news and information of activities and efforts of Node at the National level.
- Promoting the sharing of data and information under a common set of standards.
- Contributing to education, training, capacity enhancement, and to develop biodiversity informatics as a field of science.
- To develop a stronger network of biodiversity informatics professionals through coordination.
- Supporting data use through highlighting the impacts of data mobilisation across the data-science-policy interface.
- Advising on national and international initiatives, and strategy development to further support efforts to grow the impact of the SANBI-GBIF Node.
Date: 5th – 8th March 2024
A handy tool to use in the identification of Erica species, are now freely available: Genus Erica: An Identification Aid…
Deadline for receiving nominations from GBIF member countries for graduate students whose innovative research relies on biodiversity data: 24 June…
Galician PhD candidate—and second winner nominated by Portugal—offers integrated view of the dynamics behind the vertebrate genetic diversity and biogeography…
Master’s student at Makarere University becomes Uganda’s first recipient—and the second in Africa—to earn selection for improving knowledge and understanding…
DEADLINE for community feedback: Friday, 22 December 2023
Deadline for community input and feedback: Tuesday, 31 October 2023
Now available for review and testing, version 3 of the Integrated Publishing Toolkit accommodates more formats and richer data while…
New task group to address data challenges revealed by IPBES assessment, national needs for tracking progress toward reducing impacts of…
GBIF continues partnership with FinBIF and Pensoft to support publication of new datasets about organisms whose life cycles depend on…
Two 4-month MSc student internships (1 February - 31 May 2024) at the Natural History Museum, Univ. of Oslo, in…
Experimental tool is supporting collaborative research on phylogenetics by enabling data access, review, comparison and downloads that reveal evolutionary relationships…
Venue: The Iziko South African Museums, Cape Town, South Africa
Call for Applications for SANBI-GBIF Training in Analytical Techniques in Biodiversity Big Data using GBIF-Making an Impact
SANBI-GBIF requires a service provider to support a review of biodiversity data use, citations and impact
The call is now open for the GBIF 2023 Graduate Researchers Award (previously the Young Researchers Award). The award fosters…
Biodiversity Informatics: Data demonstrating Use and Impact
2023 Ebbe Nielsen Challenge seeks open-data innovations for biodiversity
The SANBI-GBIF Team embarked on a two-day journey to Spain in December 2022 to participate in an exciting new project…
Call for nominations to the 2023 GBIF Graduate Researchers Award
SANBI-GBIF Hosts Successful Data Management and Cleaning Training Event
- Get access to millions of biodiversity data, published by the South African biodiversity information community to GBIF
- Go to the Map feature to visualize occurrence records in space and time
- Special filtering criteria enable customized query development within the portal framework
- Issues and flags enable quality control
- Go to the Image Galley to browse thousands of images published by the South African community to GBIF
- Through our Data Explorer you can discover and download data for use and re-use
Training and eLearning
Visit our Training and eLearning Page and discover:
- Our training schedule for the year
- The eLearning Platform (Hosted by GBIF-Spain)
- Course content and curricula from SANBI-GBIF training events
- Signup or Subscribe to GBIF led training like the GBIF Data Mobilisation Course